Photography By : Katie Wilson
Mukloubi bi lahmi
Saima Khan at home
View all Recipes
Mukloubi bi lahmi – upside-down lamb cake
Dishes Created By
- The Hampstead Kitchen
- Serves Eight
For the main part of the dish
- 1kg lamb loin cut into 2cm cubes with the fat trimmed
- 700g aubergines cut into ¼inch-thick slices
- 50g seven spice mixture (see below)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- juice of ½ a lemon
- a few glugs of vegetable oil
- 50g clarified butter
- 500g long-grain rice (wash the rice at least 5 times until the water is clear, then soak for a minimum of 30 minutes)
- 90g pine nuts
For the Syrian spice mixture
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp group cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ground allspice berry
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut the aubergines into slices, cover with cold water and salt. Soak for half an hour, then place on sheets of clean kitchen paper and leave to dry for a few hours. I usually do this overnight.
- In a pan, combine the lamb with the spice mix, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and salt.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and cook on a slow heat for about 2 hours until the lamb is soft and tender. I use a pressure cooker to speed this process along in only 45 minutes.
- In another pan, heat the vegetable oil, make sure it is sizzling hot and then fry the aubergine, leaving the cooked slices on kitchen roll to soak up any excess oil.
- Heat the butter in a deep pan, making sure that it doesn’t brown, then stir in the rice and ensure it is coated in butter.
- In a casserole dish, add a layer of the lamb (but leave the lamb stock to one side) then build up alternating layers of rice, aubergine and then more lamb.
- Pour over the lamb stock so that the rice is covered.
- Cover with a tightlysealed lid, and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes, until you see the rice swell up and the liquid reduce.
- In another pan, fry the pine nuts with the remaining butter and dry them out on sheets of kitchen paper.
- Put a flat serving dish under the casserole dish and flip the dish upside down.
- Scatter the pine nuts over the top and serve with natural yoghurt.
View all Recipes